Archos has officially unveiled their 6th generation PMPs lineup, known as “Internet Media Tablets”, including Archos 5, Archos 7 and Archos 5G models, to make a debut across the world from September 2008. The 6th Gen comes with new clean sleeky design, as Archos decides to dump the side tactile buttons from the 5th Gen and focus on bigger touchscreen and slim look.
Archos 5 & Archos 7
are equipped with a strong bullet ARM Cortex processor, storage capacities, starting from 60GB up to 320GB, three on top buttons, including power and Volum +/-, high-resolution 800 x 480 touchscreen, as the Archos 5 comes with a 4.8-inch display and the Archos 7 packs a 7-inch screen. In addition, both models feature Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g connection, 3.5mm mini jack for headphones, free Opera web browser, built-in speaker, HD video support and DVR station dock/DVR snap-on accessory (optional) to record your favorite TV shows or play 5.1 audio via your stereo Hi-Fi. Mind you, the new DVR station houses an HDMI output to display high-definition 720P video content.
One of the most interesting devices from the new series, packs 30GB storage capacity, together with 3.5 HSPDA 3G cellular modem that lets you surf the internet wherever you want, without the need to be around a Wi-Fi hotspot. It comes with the same 4.8-inch high-resolution touchscreen (800 x 480) and same video/audio capabilities, supporting MP3, WMA, WMA Pro 5.1, WAV (PCM / ADPCM) for audio, MPEG-4 (ASP @ L5 AVI), WMV, M-JPEG (Motion JPEG video) QVGA resolution, for video and JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF, PDF, SRT for the rest.
Estimated shipping dates & prices
Archos 5 – September: 60GB – $350, 120GB – $400, 250GB – $450
Archos 7 – October: 160GB – $450, 320GB – $550
Archos 5G – December: 30GB – $550
The Archos 5g, could be subsidized by carriers.
Checkout the initial video and full specs after the break.
Update: early than expected, the Archos 5 & 7 “internet media tablets” go live on Amazon with a wide range of accessories, including DVR Station ($99), a DVR Snap-On ($80), a Mini Dock ($30), a Battery Dock ($50), a Helmet Camcorder ($130), and more.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k2JkXrZrQrIPP6JGRJ" width="425" height="335" wmode="transparent" /]
Another video from Stuff.tv :
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/0D0uHbXZ0WA" width="425" height="335" wmode="transparent" /]
Another video from ArchosLounge :
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k3Wn106dcX5bZuL2ZI" width="425" height="335" wmode="transparent" /]
*60GB hard drive stores up to 80 Movies, 600,000 photos or 30,000 songs
*120GB hard drive stores up to 160 Movies, 1.2 million photos or 60,000 songs
*250GB hard drive stores up to 300 Movies, 2.5 million photos or 145,000 songs
* High resolution screen, 800×480 pixels, 4.8” TFT LCD, 16 million colors
With optional software plug-ins:
* HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)
* H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC
* MPEG-2 [email protected] up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)
* Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WMA pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).
* With optional software plug-ins
*AAC9 and AAC+ stereo audio files
*AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files (via SPDIF output of DVR Station)
* JPEG, BMP, PNG, GIF
* Reads PDF documents (may not implement all PDF features)
* Via the optional DVR Station or DVR Snap-on. Records NTSC/PAL/SECAM in MPEG-4 AVI format with stereo sound, VGA resolution (640 x 480) @ 30 or 25 f/s
* Via the optional DVR Station or DVR Snap-on: Stereo line-in, WAV (IMA ADPCM or PCM) format
* Voice recording via the optional FM remote and its built-in microphone in WAV format (IMA ADPCM)
* Compatible with Email accounts supporting POP3 and IMAP services
* Import/export of vCard contacts
* USB 2.0 High-Speed Device (compatible USB 1.1 at a lower speed): Mass Storage Class (MSC) and Media Transport Protocol (MTP)
* USB 2.0 Host: Mass Storage Class (MSC) and Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) with optional Mini Dock, Battery Dock and DVR station
* Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g) connection. Free Web Browser (Opera® Web browser with Adobe Flash® 9 video support) upon registration
* 3.5 mm mini jack for headphones
* Accessory connectors to connect to the DVR Station and other ARCHOS accessories
* Built-in speaker
* Built-in leg stand
* Internal: Lithium Polymer battery
* Device charges via computer USB port
* External: Power adapter/charger (via optional accessories)
* Music playback time: up to 12 hours
* Video playback time: up to 4 hours
* Device automatically downloads latest firmware updates when the WiFi connection is activated
* Updates can also be downloaded at www.archos.com
Dimensions & weight
* Approx 127,5 x 78,3 x 12,9 mm (for 60GB* model) 250gr
* Approx 127 x 78,8 x 19,4 mm (for 120/250GB* models) 300gr
Minimum requirement system
*Microsoft® Windows® Vista, XP, ME, 2000 or higher
* MAC OS X and Linux (with Mass Storage Device Support)
* USB 2.0 interface
* ARCHOS 5, headphones, ARCHOS USB cable, DVR Station adapter, screen cleaning cloth, Quick Start Guide (QSG), legal and safety notice.
* 60GB model – $350
* 120GB model – $400
* 250GB model – $450
* High resolution screen, 800×480 pixels, 7” TFT LCD, 16 million colors
Dimensions & Weight
* Approx. 190 x 110 x 16 mm ; 7.48″ x 4.33″ x 0.629″
* Approx. 640 gr.; 23oz
* 160GB model – $450
* 320GB model – $550