Finally, after 6 months of expectations, Dev-Team has managed to completely unlock the iPhone 3G, which means your device will be fully open to any sim card from any carrier. The hack isn’t out yet, but the Dev-Team promises to launch it by the end of the year, so hold your breath two more weeks for the final release. Mind you, in order to use the hack and jailbreak the phone, you’d need to have 2.11.07 broadband or any earlier version installed inside. In any case, the application is currently being packaged into a user-friendly PwnageTool / QuickPwn software, to make your life easier when the time comes. Stay tuned !
- The unlock about to be released works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00. This baseband is provided by the latest firmware update (2.2) from Apple. Youll need to upgrade to this release using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to activate etc. There are plenty of tutorials about this on iclarified, bigboss, and other established tutorial sites. Because it works on 02.28.00, it is available to everyone on the planet. This means we dont need to unnecessarily expose holes in earlier basebands, which is an important concern.
- The application is a small daemon that is launched on boot. It injects the payload at boot and also whenever there is a baseband reset. You wont notice anything about it other than that your third-party sim now works. Its a small program and unobtrusive. There is no GUI (this is by design).
- There are Cydia and Installer sources available, so use whichever you are comfortable using.
- yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.
- There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus. These menus are usually items such as top up get credit etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes. Removing and reinserting the SIM once after reboot (give it about 10 secs after you see the slide to unlock widget) fixes this issue. Were working on a better fix.
- For those of you using SIM cards without STK menus, the application has some optional arguments that will make the unlock much faster for you. So either experiment on your own (use yellowsn0w -h for usage) or wait for a customization writeup.
- After you install yellowsn0w via Cydia, you should return to the Cydia main menu then reboot your iPhone with the 3rd party SIM installed. Wait for the slide to unlock screen, then wait 10 or 15 secs more. If you dont see your carrier name pop up, then remove your SIM, reinsert it, and wait 10 secs more. This is the step well be working on eliminating next.
- The application is version 0.9. This is considered beta software, and you use it at your own risk (you know the score). We guarantee that its not perfect and will require tweaking. Welcome to the cutting edge. (Its a good thing these are just temporary RAM patches!)
- The application is released on a non-commerical basis. Please do not accept pirates and scummy ripoffs of this software. We license this software for single use and in a non-commerical environment (meaning you cant charge for it). The techniques and methods used are not to be used by third party companies.
- Direct linking to the repository URLs is prohibited, please only link to this post. We will be checking referers.