Confused? Don’t know what to choose? Allow us to make it even harder on you, as Asus tosses into the market two “Seashell-like” Eee PC netbooks , just hours after going live with the new 1008HA Seashell device in some Western countries. And while the new models target lower-end users, we still hold an opinion they look better than average laptops in this category and pack probably the same specs we’re all familiar with. Getting into details, both 1005HA-M and 1005HA-H include a 10-inch 1024×600 LED display, along with a 1.6GHz Atom N270 processor, 160GB hard drive, 1GB of RAM, WiFi (no Bluetooth), a 1.3 megapixel webcam and a 6-cell battery that can deliver up to 8 hours workout, in case you’re not using heavy multimedia stuff. So what are the differences? Turns out the 1005HA-H has two more USB 2.0 ports and extra 0.3kg of weight, comparing to the original Seashell, which comes with only a 5-cell battery, but a wider range of outputs and a slimmer design than these two. In terms of availability, both units should be available in Europesomewhere around July, for €299 ($405) and €349 ($473), respectively. Meanwhile, you can checkout the comparison table between the three, after the break.
Update1: More Eee PC 1005HA details surface up, indicating the new netbook lineup will include the usual Windows XP Home, along with either Atom N270 or N280 processors, a 10.1-inch 1,024 x 600 LED-backlit display, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, three USB 2.0, Ethernet, a multicard reader and up to 10.5 hours – all packed in Black, White, Pink or Blue flavors to choose from.
Update2: And just in case the 1005HA version wasn’t enough, Asus has just unveiled a newer edition – the Eee PC 1005HGO – which adds a 3G HSPA modem to the basic version, while other specs remain the same. Checkout the image and the full specs after the break [courtesy of eeepc.it]
Update3: Looks like the guys at Liliputing have managed to nab a 1005HA netbook for themselves, and kindly shared with us their unboxing video, so head forward after the break and take a look.
Update4: Apparently, the Eee PC1005HA Seashell netbook is finally up for pre-order , priced at $389 and expected to ship on July 1.
Update5: notebookitalia.it says both Asus 1005HA and 1008HA Seashell versions will have additional colors joining the lineup, including blue, pink, ruby red and sapphire blue. Hit the link to see even more.
Full Eee PC 1005HGO specifications
- Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Home / GNU Linux
- Schermo: 10.1″ LED Backlight WSVGA (1024 x 600) Display: 10.1 “LED Backlight WSVGA (1024 x 600)
- Intel CPU & Chipset: Intel Atom N280 Intel CPU & Chipset: Intel Atom N280
- 3G: HUAWEI EM770 3G: Huawei EM770
- Memoria: 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM Memory: 1GB DDR2 SO-DIMM
- Wireless: WLAN 802.11b/g/n @2.4GHz / Bluetooth2.1 + EDR Wireless: 802.11b/g/n WLAN @ 2.4GHz / Bluetooth2.1 + EDR
- Spazio disco: 160GB HDD / 10GB Eee Storage Disk space: 160GB HDD / 10GB Eee Storage
- Webcam: 1.3M Pixel Webcam: 1.3M Pixel
- Audio: Hi-Definition Audio CODEC / Casse Stereo / Microfono digitale (solo con XP) Audio: Hi-Definition Audio CODEC / Stereo Speakers / Microphone digital (only with XP)
- Porte: 1 x VGA (D-sub 15-pin) / 3 x USB 2.0 / 1 x LAN RJ-45 / 2 x Audio Jack (Cuffie / Mic-in) Ports: 1 x VGA (D-sub 15-pin) / 3 x USB 2.0 / 1 x LAN RJ-45 / 2 x Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
- Lettore di schede: MMC/ SD(SDHC) Card reader: MMC / SD (SDHC)
- Batteria a ioni di Litio: 6-Celle 2.2Ah, 8.5 ore / 2.8Ah, 10.5 ore Battery Lithium-Ion 6-Cell 2.2Ah, 8.5 hours / 2.8Ah, 10.5 hours
- Dimensioni: 262 x 178 x 25.9 ~ 36.5 mm Dimensions: 262 x 178 x 25.9 ~ 36.5 mm
- Peso: 1.27Kg (con batteria da 6-celle) Weight: 1.27Kg (with battery 6-cells)
- Colori: Bianco, Nero Colors: White, Black